Wednesday, March 24, 2010

hola chicas!

I have to start off first that I am unable to post pictures with this post since I´m sharing a computer and I don´t want to take too long. I will post asap since I know it helps show what exactly I´m talking about.

Rest of Uruguay: At our hostel in Punta del Este, the night of my last post, we had the most amazing BBQ ever. Seriously, no fat, pink meat, sweet potatoes, fried cheese, baby onions, zuccinni, an amazing salad, chicken, sausages and Amanda had some corn on the cob since she doesn´t eat steak. I honestly thought I was going to burst from all the food. I was sad to leave Punta del Este and the family, but alas such is life.

Took the bus to Montevideo. Really that´s all I could say about the city and it would be enough. Definitely my least favorite place that we´ve been just because there really isn´t much there. We walked around the parks and got attacked my mosquitoes, went to the old city, had an expensive steak that was overcooked. I wasn´t feeling well either, but I don´t think I would have liked it that much better anyways.

It wasn´t easy even leaving the city. We woke up early to catch the bus to Colonia del Sacramento, an old Portuguese colony, to spend a few hours there before we took the ferry to Buenos Aires. Before we were even out of Montevideo the bus broke down. We waited there for another bus to come and fix it, then we drove off for about 10 minutes when it broke down again. UGH! We got off the bus to wait outside for another bus to come get up and lucky me, I stepped on an anthill and the ants attacked my ankles. Swollen and itchy, I did make it to Buenos Aires.

Argentina: I love Buenos Aires. This is definitely a city that I will be coming back to. For sure. Its so beautiful and cosmopolitian. Love it. We took a taxi to our hostel and found out that they messed up the reservation and had separated Amanda and I, but we are big girls and could spend one night apart. I did get the better room though so maybe that´s why I´m positive about it. We walked a little bit that evening to get feel of the city and even ate some pizza standing up with the locals.

We woke up early the next morning to go on a free city walking tour of BA. Sometimes those tours, especially the bus ones, can be cheesy, but this one was actually really helpful. Instead of just looking at a building and thinking that its pretty, we actually understood what the different statues meant etc. The architecture is very European and lives up the name of the Paris of South America. Cafes on every corner and just a relaxed vibe to the city. After the tour we went out to the Recoletta neighbourhood and saw where Evita is buried. The tombs are enormous and you can see the coffins when you look into the tombs. It creeped Amanda out and she went running away. We also walked through a local weekend market and to this giant metal flower. Only the picture will really explain that. Saturday was a long day, but BA is a party city and we were ready to party. We joined what is called the BA Pub Crawl and if anyone has seen my facebook, there is a link to the pictures from the night. Great night. That should be enough to sum it up without feeling too guilty.

The next day was a perfect day to recover from the pub crawl. It rained all day. Literally, all day it poured. Even if we had wanted to go out, we couldn´t. There was even this huge soccer match in the city that day which was like the equivanlent to the Super Bowl that was cancelled due to the rain. Eventually, the rain did stop and I also felt well enough to finally get showered, so we went down to see a movie. We had wanted to see Alice in Wonderland but it wasn´t playing until late so we asked what else was playing. The woman behind the counter pointed to the posters and we ended up buying our tickets just by saying ´Leonardo DiCaprio.´ Shutter Island was good, great twist, don´t want to ruin it for those who haven´t seen it though.

Another big walking day for us in BA on Monday. The weather had cleared up and we went up the Palmero neighbourhood which is kind of like the trendy bit. We ate lunch at this place that was trying to be a 1950s diner. We walked up and down the Avenue Florida which is the touristy bit and are really glad we didn´t stay over there. That night we went with the hostel to see a local drum show called La Bomba del Tiempo. Amazing, they play for like 2 hours and sing and its just a really good energy they put off. A lot of hippie shuffle going on, but when in Rome. Instead of going to the club with the rest of the group, Amanda and I decided we were hungry and went back to the hostel to get food. Only in Argentina can you order steak for delivery. I made a big deal about my steak being rare, steak rojo is what I said and that´s what I got. There has been so much beef on this trip I can feel my arteries closing. I also made friend with a lovely guy in the hostel and he played the guitar and sang for me for like two hours. Very nice evening.

We got up yesterday early and walked up the La Boca neighbourhood. All the buildings are painted bright colors and its near the tango area of the city. Its very tourity, but cute. Took a ton of pictures that will help explain it better when I can post. We had to get back and get on our 20 hour bus journey to Bariloche in the lake district and the top of the Patagonia region in the south.

Its funny since I just had a conversation with my mom about this, but there were two kids in front of us on the bus overnight that I would have punched in the face. There were so misbehaved I could not believe their mother allowed to act that way. And they kept staring at us. Amanda has a good stare back when that happens, but I could have killed them. We did get some sleep and food. They brought around food trays with bread, meat and cheese and so I ate that. Little did I know that there was also a hot meal to come with that so I was stuffed on the bus. Its funny how the buses in other countries are better than domestic flights at home.

We arrived in Bariloche early this afternoon after being stopped by the police again. They took some people off the bus and searched them and we all had to show our passports and had the dogs on the bus and by all the luggage. It was only about a half hour but its still a strange feeling. Either way, we are here.

Today was a beautiful day. We went out to a lookout that overlooks all the mountains and lakes. So beautiful! Its one of the ten best views in the world and I believe it. Had a little snack up there and then went and walked around the grounds of this fancy hotel that looks like it is right out of the Swiss Alps. Actually this whole area does. Put on the hiking boots today too hoping to break them in before the Inca Trail.

I can´t believe that its already been 3 weeks since I left. Time is really flying. We have to sit down and plan the rest of Argentina. I´m falling in love with this country and definitely know that I´ll be back. I also have to add just because I kept telling her that I would, but Amanda wore the same leggings for 7 days in a row. This is always laundry to be done. I have clothes that are just as bad that I keep wearing. I´m trying not to become the dirty traveler, but I´m already wearing 2 bracelets and that´s a sure sign that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment